Thursday, June 24, 2010

Mrs. Edwin Smith-Standish models the WASP look

The doyenne who embodies all things good taste and fine living found in Shaker Heights, Ohio, Mrs. Edwin Smith-Standish, has invited us into her into her home.  We find her in the library overlooking her east garden.  As she puts down her latest copy of the DAR Magazine, she greets us.  "Do come in!"

She is known to her husband as Martha.  Her school chums at Miss Porter's know her as "Smithy".  Her children Edwin Jr., Miles and triplets Doreen, Colleen and Maureen know her best as "Mother" (Her youngest child, Bruce, a "free spirit and leathersmith living in San Francisco, call's me "Sunday's," she muses)  and her grandchildren know her as Mrs. Smith-Standish.  Mrs. Smith-Standish occupies her time overseeing the family home on South Park Boulevard, and attending club meetings when she isn't involved with charities involved with doing "good works".  Holidays are spent hosting Thanksgiving and Christmas dinner at the country club for her family.  And she drives a "sensible" Buick.

Not known for frivilous trends, and immune to fadish things, she has worn her her hair like this since 1965.  Change her do?  Cover that grey? "You sound like my stylist at "Andre Duvall!" she chortles. "Can you imagine me in a "Rachel" cut? What could be gained by coloring my hair?"  She smiles, amused at our joie de vivre.

"Now, that would not be becoming to a woman of my age, would it.  And I'm not interested in turning heads at this stage in my life.  Mr. Smith-Standish would think I was out of my mind!  No, this design suits me.  Though I enjoy seeing women keeping up with the latest trends, our way suits us fine."

She depresses a button on the table next to her.  "Estelle will be right in with tea and water cress sandwiches.  I hope you will stay."

2 comments: