Monday, May 24, 2010

Everything That Uncle John Needs



In watching the above clip, two thoughts occurred to me.  The first is, how odd is it that Little Richard had so much more appeal to white audiences than black.  I also noticed at about the 1:19 mark, there's a brief cutaway to Bill Hailey sitting at a table.  My other thought was, that if I were an entertainer, my idea of living hell would be to have to follow Little Richard on stage!


What, really can anyone say about The Architect Of Rock And Roll, other than in addition to his extraordinary talent, he will always have a place of honor in The Hair Hall of Fame.



7 comments:

  1. and you just know she is still pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  2. No one can throw a tantrum like Little Richard!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so glad you did this. I've done entire blogs dedicated to Little Richard's hair as well! You know I love him. If you want to listen to him talk about crawling around the floor naked on angel dust (who doesn't?) have a listen here:
    http://donnalethal.tumblr.com/post/613757167/testimony

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think blacks of the time (and perhaps still now) may have had problems with his flaming flamboyance. There's probably an entire sociological thesis to be written on the subject.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yeah, I actually thought the same thing Thom. He seems a cultural source of embarrassment to the black community in a way that the equally showy and flamboyant, but decidedly butcher, James Brown.

    ReplyDelete
  6. There was never anything little about him.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think that the cut at 1:19 is the Big Bopper, not Bill Haley.

    ReplyDelete