Sunday, April 18, 2010

Hair God: Mr. Ray


Now, I could write an entire book on Mister Ray. There are several. My best friend Mavis first discovered these gems at flea market in North Carolina. I became obsessed and tried to find out more; youtube comments say he is no longer with us. Mister Ray was of the "old school," - a true ladies' man who was a master of style. He wrote several books - should you see them, grab them! They are expensive. You'll recognize his creations as they are all over. I was sure to plaster them all over flickr before they bounced me off (for Jayne nudies no less, but that's not a topic for here.)
There are also some youtube videos which are scans of his books ("Mr. Ray's Magic Brush," "Mr. Ray's Millionaire Hairstyles") but the music annoys me.


above: Mavis' finds
"I got a knife here in my pocket and I'm gonna cut you up after class!"



Note: this is not the same "Mr. Ray's Wig World" that is referenced in the greatest hair film of all time, "Female Trouble." That Mr. Ray has now gone on to become Mister Ray's Hair Weave (I will do an upcoming post) and is of another color.

6 comments:

  1. Ok, listen to Perry Como singing Temptation, and look at Mr. Ray's version of Temptation...A perfect match!

    ReplyDelete
  2. bell page is ringing mine! and that thin-lipped temptation...whoa. and as for mr.ray, may i fuck him right now or do i have to wait?

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow...this is art.
    Performance art, sculpture and maybe even dance.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Norma: Wait 'til I start posting 70s pix of Mr. Ray ... I think we'll all have to share.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hair Trivia Goddess: Donna Lethal.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Is the woman wearing the Belle Page princess Leia's mother?

    ReplyDelete